Why would someone want to belly dance you may ask?
Well, there are so many reasons why people should bellydance!
If you are worried about it being a sexual thing, don’t worry, its less sexual than it is sensual in its movements. Originally the history of belly dance started as a dance developed by women for women.
Although there are misconceptions about what belly dance really is, be assured, and anyone can correct me, but it only became sexualized by men. Funnily enough, now belly dance has taken the entire world by storm and there are amazing male belly dancers as well. That being said, I welcome everyone into my classes.
If you are worried about showing your midsection? Guess what?! You don’t have to unless you feel comfortable doing so. In belly dance classes, you can wear whatever you feel comfortable in. You can wear a full length tank top or t-shirt, or you can wear something showing your midsection. The main thing is, no matter the level of coverage, it should be form fitting so as your belly dance instructor, I can properly see your body movements.
If you decide to start performing in small student shows or even professionally one day, that’s another level and even there, there are options on coverage level. Main point here is, do not let this stop you from learning. I want my students to be comfortable coming to class.
Besides being really fun… I share a list of other reasons to belly dance. Some may come with an explanation.
learning about how your body moves and feels
Starting your fitness journey doesn’t always need to start in the gym.
The way i teach belly dance (based on Hadia’s Amazing Body Logic System), you learn what muscles create certain belly dance moves, how these muscles are meant to work to create those movements and in turn you develop a greater sense of body awareness. So many people’s brains are detached from their bodies. I help you reconnect mind and body through belly dance. The methods I use to teach with, also provide the body with a nice massage!
2. learning what it can do for your overall mind, body and soul.
Once you start to see how my methods to teach this dance art work, and you get more comfortable and confident in your abilities, you will see how belly dance starts to collectively affect your mind body and soul positively. I haven’t met a person yet, including myself, that this has not happened to.
3. learning that every person’s body, mind and soul is unique and so belly dance will empower each of you in a different way
I think this is self explanatory. Every individual is unique. I expect feedback on this to be very different for everyone .
4. learning about your strengths and weaknesses and having the courage to work on weaknesses in order to build them into strengths
Learning anything new will allow this to happen, but I find learning how your body works is an excellent avenue for this type of growth.
5. getting a great workout in a fun, safe and friendly environment
6. allowing yourself to learn about a new culture while having fun and making friends
7. allowing yourself to use your body for something it was built to do BELLY DANCE
If you want to bring fitness and health, joy and empowerment into your life, then come out and learn what belly dance can do for you!
If this convinces you to come try out a class, I invite you to a free demo class on:
Wednesday May 15th @12-1:30 pm at Training Spaces, 567 College Street West, Toronto, ON
To reserve your spot in this free trial class please visit
Sometimes we get caught up in our own lives, our own drama. When that happens, everything and everyone else around us seems to be more annoying….and then we fail to see that someone else actually may need help (more help than we need ourselves).
I stepped back a little last night, and instead of getting angry about a situation I realized that this was actually a moment to reach out and help a colleague (this was a sign that they needed guidance and optimism that there would be a turning point for the positive).
When is the last time you were able to do this (I cant get my question mark to work…hence no question mark after my questions right now).
Yes…everything is not always about you…sometimes we all need to step back to realize this. Its easy to get caught up in trivial things, or things we do not necessarily have control over.
Being able to do this type of thing will decrease your stress, and believe it or not, help you stay focused. This in turn helps you achieve all your goals whether health and fitness based, career based, or other.
I would like to be able to provide people with information about Health and Fitness Topics.
For me just because of my busy schedule, I think it would work better if people reply to this blog post with things you may want to learn about or want a different opinion about. That way I can manage my time better and not get overwhelmed with trying to make a decision about which topics to write about. Some topics may spark others at which time I will start to think about what comes next.
In the midst of being in a dark corner of my brain for some time, a friend of mine posted about how he was nominated for a sunshine blogger award. I skimmed through it and at the end, saw that he nominated me for a “Sunshine Blogger Award”. I texted him back and said I would do it once my brain could handle something like this. I have yet to read yours slowly and in detail. Thank you Lee! I am out of the darkness and now ready to post my blog about this. As well I will be back to posting blogs on a somewhat regular basis.
Lee is a pretty amazing guy, and he has one of the best blogs ever! You should go check him out Lee Cleaver
Ok, so next up, I will be sharing the questions Lee asked to me and 10 other nominees. Lets see, I haven’t even read through them yet, so the answers you get will be on the spur of the moment!
1. At the stage you are at in your life…what’s…your own personal definition of the word “Love?” hmmmm, wow! I am at a point in my life where I am in full on self-discovery. I have absolutely no problem disclosing my age, and feel I kind of need to in order to put things into perspective. Lets just say this, the first 44 years of my life were spent developing at different stages. Learning what I do and don’t like in life in all aspects, making mistakes, learning from them, progressing as an individual always thinking…oh, I think I’ve reached my optimal level of whatever and I am where I want to be and then realizing sometimes the hard way…wooooops! Nope I was wrong! LMAO. Sometimes you have to hit absolute rock bottom with everything in order to rise to the top of the mountain! Now just around the corner of becoming the big 45, I have a true sense of who I am, where I am going, what my life looks like and creating that! My Definition of Love – being in a state of true self knowing, self actualization, appreciation, gratitude, peace and joy. With these, an overwhelming sense of euphoria for life happens. When I encompass all of this, I feel that I truly emit a positive angel like light onto the world and I feel people can actually see it. I feel it. I live it, and it is a wonderfully positive vicious cycle that becomes contagious! YAH!!!!!
2. Would you entertain…you…10 years ago…now? This one made me laugh as I was about to answer #1. LOL First of all, I am not sure exactly what use of the word entertain is being suggested. If you mean, would I perform dance for me 10 years ago now….yes! lol If you mean would I give me the time of day 10 years ago now…..I would say yes, but only to help mentor me 10 years ago. If I had had future me (NOW) mentoring me 10 years ago (THEN), I would be where I see my life in 1 year, 2 years, 5 years from now already. Fortunately, now with bringing meditation (guided for now) into my life, I sometimes am able to tap into my future self which gives my now self guidance to move forward. If you mean would I entertain my 10 years ago now as a friend….I am not sure…. LOL
3. Where’s the place…or places…you feel most at peace…at one with existence? To be at one with existence the one place I feel most at peace is outdoors. Preferably in a park/treed area/forest/by water. I am really closest to my source in these conditions. Dance and Fitness help me to have an outlet, but to be at peace and at one with existence I need to be as far away from humans as possible (walking by is ok, i just don’t want to be confined close to anyone). Hearing nature, smelling nature, seeing nature is where its at for me!
4. If you could take a personal life lesson…then turn it into a quote that connected with and helped others…what would it be? Hmmmmmm, but there have been so many personal life lessons! I can only choose one…..ok let me think of what’s been the biggest one for me…..ok here it is.
No matter where you go, what you do, who you are with, trust always that your inner guidance system is working for you. If something doesn’t feel good its because you have strayed further away from what your path is. Your path is lit, just find ways to return, it is always going to be there!
5. What’s your favourite smell? Christmas Tree!!
6. What’s your favourite sound? A Cat’s Meows and Purrs and other funny “talking sounds”
7. At the stage you are at in your life…what’s…your own personal definition of the word “Success?” My own personal definition of the word “success”. That’s an interesting question. What I would have once considered to be success I think is very different from what I see it as now. In the past success to me was achieving certain levels. For example, having a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, being in the Top 500 of the largest corporate fitness chain in Canada 2 years in a row, completing and achieving so many certifications etc etc. Whether I was in a long term relationship or married etc etc. Those were all signs of success for me in the past. Now, Sure I have all those things under my belt and continue to achieve different things, but doing that doesn’t really equate to success to me anymore. I am now divorced, does that mean I am unsuccessful? NO, it means I finally realized that I wasn’t happy, and also realized during the seperation and once out of my relationship that I am doing something for myself. My personal development is important to me. Personal development is something everyone should take the time to go through. And here is the thing, its not like a university degree where it lasts a certain amount of time and then you get rewarded with a piece of paper. Personal Development is a life long pursuit! To me I think maybe success can be defined as that point where an individual realizes how much more rewarding life is when they work on themselves holistically. You can’t just take care of your physical body through working out/physical activity and nutrition. You must feed the mind and soul via different avenues. (coaching, therapy, meditation, etc) I feel good when I complete things, but I feel a sense of being rewarded with “success” the more personal breakthroughs I make, the more times I can shift my mindset from negative to positive in a shorter amount of time… etc!! That’s it. LOL. How many of you have decided to make a commitment to your Personal Development?
8. Sum up your blog space in 5 words? Ever Evolving as I do!
9. You’re fighting…professionally…for sport…for the championship of the world…and…you win it. Did you highlight reel your opponent in the first round…out cold…or…win on points after warring with each other the entire distance?
I win on points after warring with each other the entire distance. I rather win that way, it feels well deserved and why did I train all that time just to knock someone out cold in round 1! I like some action and excitement! LOL
10. If I turned your life so far…into a blockbuster movie…what would it be called? HAHAHAHAHA Monsters in a Stormy Sea!? LMAO Nah!….. “Through the Decades”
11. You’re writing a best selling book…fill in the blank. “10 steps to……………”
“10 Steps to Fulfilling Self”
Alright, so now that that is done, its time for me to nominate 11 Bloggers for this Award. Here are my picks!
Have you ever gone in circles over something, never quite realizing that you already know what you should be focusing on in life, only to realize that that thing you have always wanted to do is what you should be doing? LMAO
Well, that’s what I have been going through lately. Remember I mentioned I was getting self-actualization coaching? Well damn, this woman is amazing at what she does! I am more than happy to share her information with anyone who is looking for that coach to help them “self-actualize” and reach their goals and reach their full potential in this world.
When cornered with the question “Who am I? Who is Kelly” and also being advised to get out of my head, to stop being so philosophical and intellectual and start listening more to my intuition (which was slowly coming but not when it came to me personally), I was stumped! All I wanted to do to get that answer is start thinking, which was what I was advised not to do.
So I realized, it was time to go to another guided meditation. But it had to be a very specific one. I found one that was just over 20 minutes long which was perfect because I had to get onto my assigned homework asap. It was one called Connect With Your Spirit Guides & Receive Messages and Guidance – Guided Meditation https://youtu.be/Cm39DCby7oA
It was absolutely amazing. I followed everything in the meditation and I got all the answers to my questions. I connected myself to my spirit guide and yes indeed all the answers were always within me. If left to my brain, what came out would never have come out on its own.
To try and keep it short and sweet, my mission on this earth is Dance with a side of Fitness. Not Fitness with a side of dance. I am a dancer. That is who and what I am. I just happen to be a dancer with a vast array of experience, knowledge and skill in the fitness industry. Something else I also realized is, although I could be marketing to and teaching people belly dance and flamenco, that is not the first order of business. That is something I will do, but right now its more important that I reach the people out there who have a fear of dancing in public. Lots of reasons why this can be. And i also realized along the way in this journey that it’s not just people who haven’t started to add dance in their lives, but it can also be relatable to people who are dancers. This could be a whole other blog post.
So yes! My mission for KellyKinetics is very different from what it first set out to be, but because of this, my gift to this world has much more purpose and meaning now. I am excited, and I always listen to my intuition in order to know what the next steps are. So far things are building up great. There are Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people out there that need my help to dance like nobody is watching. I have quite a few different methods of how I will develop this ability in people. I am excited to get started!
Whether you have goals in life – love, career, health, fitness, money, you name it, you need to stay focused.
There will be so many things that can come along that are there set as distractions. Be aware of this and try not to spend too much time entertaining these outside things. You know what you want, you know what you need to get there and obtain it, plough on through and just do it!
The light is at the end of the tunnel…. you can see it…. but it still seems so close yet so far away….sound familiar?
This is when your voice of self doubt will come in, negative thoughts will enter your head, and you’ll on your very own fall of course if you don’t take the necessary steps to stay on your victory path!
What do I do when I feel this start to happen? A big thing I do now is drop everything I am doing as long as I am not in a class myself or with a client, and put my earbuds in, go to youtube and find some great guided meditations. This always turns my head back on straight, and then I can carry on with my day as if none of those things even entered my head.
Important thing is unless you have hours to spare, once you find a guided meditation you feel will work for you, set your alarm!
It is very easy to become so relaxed and focused on the mindwork in the meditation that you fall asleep. Don’t worry if you fall asleep, the messages still reach your subconscious mind, which is where a lot of these mind blocks, self doubt, and negativity are housed.
I will share a few of the one’s I use on a regular basis. I suggest lying down for the fullest relaxation experience, but it can be done seated and close your eyes. Follow what the voice says.
I hope these help you as much as they have helped me. I welcome your feedback!
Its been a while since I wrote a blog. A lot has been happening. I have not felt like writing much of anything until now.
One thing we as Trainers/Coaches and anyone else in a career that helps people need to realize, is that we are not always ok. In order to be the positive influencers for our own clients, we need to be in a positive space, physically, mentally and spiritually. If even one of these areas is off, it can change your thinking, all your interactions and even affect how your business runs .
How in touch with who you are as a person will determine whether you realize if you need help or not. Even if you realize you need help, figuring out what type of help you need for that moment in time is crucial. You may need a coach to help you get in touch with your inner self again before you can even move on.
It’s interesting, because I went through some positive self development last year, and totally thought I was off to the races, until similar patterns crept up this year. I realized I needed to nip this in the bud! Everything was off, I only had a handle on my body physically. I opened myself up to a new circle of people which lead me to my current Self-Actualization/Business Development Coach (Rev Lady Jan).
Most of us know a lot of what a coach like this will talk to us about. But sometimes, it’s so hard to practice what you know. This is why you need to hire that coach. Someone who can keep you accountable, someone who can even explain to you what you may already know, but differently. All of a sudden you see everything in a different light and that’s what sparks the ignition to go!
You may realize, after a lot of blaming everything and everyone else that all the seemingly negative things that are happening, are a result of your own mindset, words you speak and therefore seeds you’ve planted. Do you really want to keep watering those seeds that are just becoming weeds that are clouding your focus??? This might seem like the only thing you can do, because you’ve been living your own manifestation for who knows how long. But guess what!? Its a vicious vicious cycle that if you don’t just decide to stop and make a complete 360 in your mind, you will continue to live the negative manifestation of your life.
You may have heard before, that the mind is a powerful thing. Well this is no joke!
I will admit, I dug myself into a financial hole that was bigger than I could have ever imagined. I spoke words like, “I can’t afford it, I have no money, once I pay my debt off, I wish i could do _____, but I have no money”. I had different variations of all of that, and the more I spoke these words to people, the more they got ingrained in my mind, the more my mind would think about these things, I would imagine the worst, the worst would start happening, and just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, even worse would happen….and sometimes the unimaginable to the point where I was just like, ENOUGH! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! THIS IS NOT ME, and THIS IS NOT MY LIFE.
Its even giving me a headache right now having shared that, but I felt it was important to share to illustrate how severely our own minds can create our self-sabotage.
I started changing my mindset and spoken words and thoughts immediately. Next thing I know I have money to pay for my coach for a 3 month program, and money to pay for a psychotherapist 2-3 times a month. As I am going through new learning on a deeper level than my current knowledge its very easy to have set backs, but I see the set backs coming, I embrace them, acknowledge them, and conquer!
Over the last few months, the universe has brought the right people into my life, and the right set of events are starting to happen, leading to what my true goals for life are.
I am very mindful now of the sentences and words that I speak out loud and in my head. And if at any moment I feel the wrong ones trying to creep back in, which is usually on my off hours not seeing clients, I stop everything and lie down for a guided meditation geared to exactly the thing that is trying to creep in. By the end of it, all has changed and I am back on the right track.
My Life has changed. I live a life full of abundance. I am servicing my perfect niche for clients and I have so much more than I can even have imagined. I am magnificent, and I am a Queen!
If you work with a trainer, coach or therapist who tells you they hired someone, be thankful. The person you go to is working on becoming a better version of themselves which in turn will provide you with an even better service and a better overall outcome for your life and your goals.
I am more than happy to provide contact information for any coaches I have used in the past or am currently working with.
I invite anyone to share their experiences with positive versus negative minds set and what it has manifested in your life.
Well, it looks like its that time of year again! I am going to say, I don’t feel quite as confident in my Advanced Dance Class piece – Tarantos – as I did in all of my dance pieces last June, but it will definitely still go well.
The reason I don’t feel as confident comes from the fact that, I took the fall term off. I returned in January 2019 to find that the class had already learned almost half the choreography. This was the second year I had to catch up in learning a piece. Last year’s piece I learned from day 1 and our group practiced weekly so the chemistry in class and on stage made for 4 very confident dancers.
I also decided to reconnect with learning Flamenco Cante (singing). This year will be the first year I sing on stage…and, its in Spanish! I am pretty excited about that, but, there is one song we are learning out of all of them that for all of us seems so hard to memorize compared to all the others. My goal this week was to have half of that song memorized by tomorrow. I have it half memorized and its a day early. So I have full confidence that by the show next Friday, I will have that entire song memorized.
I am a little stressed, but over all, these shows are fun. The full school rehearsals start tomorrow!